Thursday, August 23, 2012

Achilles Tendinitis

Wow, life has gotten busy again. I am back at work, and the girls are back in a home daycare. Our days are spent apart and our evenings together are busy with gymnastics classes, Back to School nights, dinners around the kitchen table, baths, and playtime.

With just a couple weeks back around other kids, Sophia has already gotten sick. She's been running high fevers since Tuesday night, and no amount of Tylenol or Ibuprofen can seem to kick it.


Mike took her to the doctor yesterday, thinking ear infections. She had a red, swollen throat, but no strep, so we just have to wait it out and try to control the fever and pain as best as we can.

On top of that, somewhere between climbing Long's Peak, training, and increasing the speed and intensity of my runs, I developed achilles tendinitis.

After the first run in which I experienced pain, I took four days off to rest and then planned on doing my normal long 11 mile run on Sunday. I only made it a mile and a half before I had to turn around and head home. I contacted a PT friend of mine and we put into place the following plan: rest (at least 5 days off), ice, Aleve, and ultrasound the area every other day.

The pain has gotten considerably better, but I still feel a shooting pain in my achilles occassionally when I bend to pick up a girl, or lift up on my tip-toes.

So while healing from this injury, I'm going to need to make the following changes to my workouts:

1. Warm up -  This is obvious, and I know I should have been doing it all along. But I would get up at 5:45 for my long runs on Saturday, get dressed, eat a banana or some oatmeal, and I would be running by 6:00 or 6:15. No more. I have to start my workouts with a 5 minute walk to warm up. Really, it's a small thing to add if it will help me stay injury-free.

2. Stretch - This, again, is obvious but I need to get better about stretching after runs, and thanks to my PT friend, Andrea,  I know a few more stretches that will help target the achilles area.

3. Keep my footwear current - Last year, after just starting to run and experiencing some foot pain, I went to Runner's Roost and had my stride analyzed by one of their sales guys. I learned that I'm an over pronator, and I notice it even more now just walking around. A good pair of supportive shoes is really important, and I have to stay on top of buying new shoes before the old ones wear out. It's tough, because last year's shoes still look to be in fairly good shape, but after the miles I've put on them, they weren't giving me the support I needed anymore.


Last year's shoes (on the left) actually were fantastic for me for a long time, they had just worn out. So I bought the exact same shoe, 14 months later. I figured, why change something if you like it?

4. Wear said shoes around the house - Andrea also stressed the importance of having support all the time, not just while running. I can't (don't) really wear sneakers to work, but I've started changing into them when I get home. Especially because our entire house has wood floors. Walking around bare foot or in flip flops doesn't help.

5. Ice and NSAIDs - They have become my new best friends.

I've done some walking on the treadmill, along with a lot of stretching breaks. I'm looking forward to trying a run on Saturday. I hope not to have to lose too much training time. The half marathon is September 22nd, and I'm so ready for this setback to be over and to get back out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment