Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Letter to Kenley - UPDATED

My Darling Kenley,

As your mother, I am responsible for loving you, teaching you, and guiding you through your childhood until you reach a time when you are mature enough to make decisions on your own and, I hope, one day have a family of your own. I take this job very seriously. And so, let me share some of my wisdom with you.

It is summer.

As you know, we do not like to let the grass grow under our feet. We are often busy with activities, outings, play dates, and errands. It has come to my attention that you have been having a difficult time making it through our active mornings. In fact, just today, we left the library and immediately this happened.

Now I know what you are thinking. I was tired! Storytime wore me out! I just needed to close my eyes for a few minutes! I can understand that. But here's the thing. You woke up at 5:30 this morning.

I really don't like to compare you with your sister, but I can't help but noting here that she slept until 8:00 this morning and was wide-eyed and bushy-tailed through all of our morning's endeavors. I realize that for a girl like you who has grown accustomed to rising with the sun, eight o'clock might be pushing it. Let's take baby steps. How about a time that starts with a six? And then we'll move forward from there.

I also think it's important to point out that this is not an isolated incident. Please scroll through the following pictures and you'll see what I mean.
All cuteness aside, this doesn't really look comfortable.

Yes, you are asleep under there.

I get it, your carseat is comfortable...

...but then I have to wake you and you give me this face.

So again, let me reiterate. It's summer! You should be sleeping in! And if you do that, I guarantee you'll have more energy to make it through the morning, past lunch, and onto a more reasonable one o'clock naptime.


Love always,

Your Equally Tired Mommy


*UPDATED*
On second thought, perhaps I should be more concerned with what you're doing in your carseat when you're awake. Sleep on, sister.

2 comments:

  1. You're too funny Elissa! Love this post. I can't believe how kids can put their toes in their mouths. 5:30, huh? That's brutal!

    ReplyDelete